Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Beautiful Woman

I'm at work and can't concentrate. You see, just about 2 1/2 weeks ago, a coworker went into the hospital to have gall bladder surgery. She's just a few years older than I am, with three children and a great husband. She'd been in a lot of pain, and we all just thought, "Whew, she'll feel better soon."

During surgery, they found she had liver cancer....and later, lung cancer...then blood clots in her leg, and lung.... Last week she had her first chemo and got to go home for a few hours.

They found she had a blood clot in her arm. She had to go back to the hospital and they had to put in filters in her legs and arms to stop the blood clots from traveling to her heart.

Today, we were told she has pneumonia and they went to test the levels of fluid in her lungs and found she's internally bleeding and is being placed in ICU. Some of us are very fearful.

This is the woman you always see smiling, is so healthy, so happy, so loving to everyone who crosses her path. Her family always looks so happy and so loving too.

Why her? Why anyone for that matter? What can we do to protect our loved ones and ourselves?

I know there are no answers, and this isn't about me, isn't about me at all. It is about a beautiful woman and her family, but she affects us all because we love and care about her so much. It helps to write, and that's all right now.

I'm on the list to make dinner for the family and take it in to be delivered Friday. It is all I can do and it doesn't feel like enough.

4 comments:

  1. Thoughts are with you and your coworkers and coworkers family. I have known people going through and know people going through it right now. Its a tough road. Hoping the best for them. What you making them for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's scary to watch this happening.
    I'm sorry you are scared. ANd I'm sorry that life is so uncertain and cruddy sometimes.

    It doesn't seem fair. And it is very scary.

    Why this happens is because we live is a messed up world. it wasn't supposed to be this way, but it is.

    I think a different question to ask is: What can be done about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I hadn't heard all of that! Poor Kim!! I'm definitely praying for her and her family! How could all of this be happening to her?? I'll email Amy and see if I can still sign up to bring a dinner over!
    Thanks for the update!
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about how to comment, and there just are no words. She is in my prayers. And her situation is in my nightmares.

    ReplyDelete