Friday, July 30, 2010

Open for Advice

I'd like to ask all the mommies out there for some advice.

I'm really feeling like I'm struggling finding any semblance of balance in my life right now, with working, having a family, and having an incredible lack of sleep from my son's crazy sleep issues lately. I feel like I'm doing all I can just to eat, sleep, get my son ready, and stay positive. My great schedule I used to have for planning for shopping, having time to shop, run my errands alone (I'm not sure this is a possibility anymore, and that in itself causes me stress) and all has fallen off the face of the earth, and before I break down and fall apart, I just want to hang on the rope and try to keep perspective.

I've now added two weekday activities to my week, which I'm sure will be affecting the craziness I feel on top of things too: an afterschool club and weekly allergy shots (which gets me home with my son 1/2 hour later than normal on that night).

When you first have a baby, all the books say to forget about chores and do all you can to care for your child and yourself. Is this still true as a working mom with a toddler? Do I get myself all worked up about nothing, or do the rest of you struggle with these things too?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, this is "give yourself a break" time. A) The first few weeks of school are exhausting (even pre-children). B) Your sleep schedule's a bit messed up.

    Things will get better soon...really soon, but follow the "baby advice."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suze,
    You should SEE my house! It is a disaster! And I hate my house being a disaster. It's totally NOT relaxing! Reading FLY lady (www.flylady.net) has helped me, but I wouldn't subscribe to her because you will get a bazillion emails and it will stress you out more. Also, when I worked more regularly, my husband and I would work together on groceries. I would make him a very detailed grocery list and he would call if he needed clarification. It helped a LOT! Oh, I also made 2 months worth of menus so I wouldn't have to worry about what was for dinner. Either Chris or I could start it since it was written down.
    Also, let being perfect go. Just let it go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry!
    I agree with both of the other comments. This time of year is exhausting in the best of circumstances. And right now you don't have the best of circumstances.
    Take a break! Whether that means eating more prepared meals for a bit (either eating out or buying premade stuff from the store) or eating on paper plates to save the mess, I don't know. Hang in there - it will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly (for all of the above). Stop trying to do everything. Nudge hubby a bit and ask him to help. Start eating pb&j and frozen pizzas for dinner (nobody every died from too much quick food) and go to bed early for a while.

    Can I bring you dinner Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete