Tuesday, June 1, 2010

WILTW: First CVS Experience

I want to thank Gianna, a new blogging friend, who suggested I go to www.pocketyourdollars.com
to find good deals. At this site, you can click on CVS, Target, and a variety of others stores and find their best sales matched with coupons.

There is even a link to a "How to Get Started Using the Extra Care Program", which was really helpful. I didn't know there was another coupon printer at the store, and I learned the main focus is to go after the Extra Bucks and try to use coupons on those too.

So, I just returned from my first ever, planned CVS "true shopping" trip (meaning it wasn't just a stop for a prescription or something I needed last minute like flour).

Here's what I got:

$15 worth of Hallmark cards = $3.00 Extra Bucks
*There was a link on the above website for a $1.00 off coupon for Hallmark too, which I left at home. :(
3 Suave body washes 4/$3.00 sale = $2.00 Extra Bucks
Ban deodorant $2.99 sale = $2.00 Extra Bucks
Neutrogena sunblock $7.99 sale/buy $15.00 worth = $5.00 Extra Bucks

side item:
2 Sally Hansen nail polish (the cheaper, $2.99 one) Buy 1, get one 50% off

So, I spent $58.26, but I have $12.00 to use on my next purchases. Did I do all that right, CVS shoppers?

I did realize, in leaving, that I forgot a greeting card for my sis-in-law, but I'd reached the $15.00 already, so I may as well wait for another sale to earn extra bucks and stock up on future cards then, including hers (her b-day isn't until July).

Here's a question I have though, if anyone can help.

How do you balance buying what you need for the month and using sales, where you stock up for the future, all within one month's budget?


Does it eventually balance out? For instance, I now have enough body wash probably through 2010, but it all came out of this month's budget. We've sometimes "carried payments" into future months' grocery budgets if we weren't using them until that time.

For more of What I Learned This Week, go see Julie.

3 comments:

  1. You are welcome! And you got some ideas for my baby boy's superhero (non-comic book) name? Whatever you got to start the brainstorm would be welcome! Oh, I am soooo drawing a blank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! What a great post!

    I can imagine that in a while (like... months) it'll all even out? Because your grocery bill will be down $10-20 a month because of the items you're buying now??

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have a CVS close to us, so I don't bother with that. The less I have to drive, the better off I am. The extra savings aren't worth my sanity :)

    Have a great week. My WILTW post is here:
    Journal Entry

    ReplyDelete