Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tackling Walgreens

This week I tackled Walgreens at their sale items, after also hitting up CVS this week. I was able to attempt this with a couple of days off this week. I'm not sure this would be something I could normally do on a weekly basis, but I thought it was the perfect week to try.

Here's what I bought:
-4 Nature Valley granola bars packs at $1.99 each. I had a .40 coupon, a .50 coupon, and a .75/2 coupon, so they came to $6.31 or $1.58/box.
-2 Kotex items at $3.49 each.
*I then received $2.50 in register rewards and a coupon for a free Playtex item up to $5.00

I went back to buy Puffs tissue, something I'd forgotten my coupon for. They are regularly $1.49 each. The coupon was for .99 each, for a limit of two.
I used that coupon to get them at .99 each, applied my $2.50 in register rewards to that, so I only spent .50 on the tissue, AND I got a free Playtex item.
I spent $1.10 ONLY for all of that on my second trip!

I feel thankful that all of this worked so well. I still question (questioning is healthy, right?) that while I'm buying items I will use, I don't necessarily need them now. How does that affect my monthly budget? I do know that I don't need to buy much meat this month, so maybe if I make sure I limit my expenses in this area, maybe I'll be fine.

What is hard is, I want to take advantage of sales, but without:
-going over my budget
-going crazy looking over so many ads and coupons and websites
-losing quality time for my family or myself

My husband reminded me: "There will always be sales."
I also heard from someone the other day: "You can save yourself broke."

I know the balance is up to me, and finding what works for me. I don't want to go so overboard it isn't fun any more, or like I said, takes too much time.

Your suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! COMPLETELY! It's nice to get those things that are on sale, but what if I don't need them? What if I don't EVER need them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got something for you over on my blog. Come and check it out!

    ReplyDelete