Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Works For Me Wednesday: Pantry Storage

In joining in this "saving more by shopping in bulk club", I've had to reevaluate my space, particularly in my large pantry that suddenly became a catchall for all storage other than food. As I started stocking up, I realized it was quite tacky of me to continue putting food boxes on top of our kitchen cabinets, and how important it was to just reorganize.
Here's what became of that endeavor, and I'm really happy with it. It is easy to see everything, reach for cooking or snacks, and inventory for an upcoming shopping trip.

One thing I learned this week though (or actually realized last week), that in stocking up, and learning this way from scratch, it is easy to spend more of one's budget during good sales, so I have to keep a close eye on my grocery budget. This week we had only about $40 to use, so we're eating lots of leftovers from the fridge and being creative.

I also learned from someone's blog to really monitor your receipts-BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE STORE. I came home from Target with a Clean and Clear item marked down to $2.00, and I used a $2.00 coupon on it, excited it was free, minus tax. I came to find out, at home of course, I was charged the full $6.49. So I'm going back. Funny I didn't remember to check in the store. I certainly learned something there.

For more, see Works For Me Wednesday.

What are ways you are saving money lately?

1 comment:

  1. I cleaned out some cupboards in our back porch to use for storage. It makes it easier to go ahead and buy 10 boxes of Cheeerios if you know in advance where you can store them. :-)

    ReplyDelete