Monday, June 28, 2010

WFMW: Activities for Toddlers

Lately, I have found some great ideas for kid activities on Teach Mama. 

I saw these great Silly Bandz on her blog and had to order them for my son. He was thrilled when they came in! We had to get the dinosaur ones of course.
What he loved most of all was when I showed him they could go on your wrists. He put all the triceratops on his wrists and had me put on the brontosaurus ones. A little warning (#1), I think 2 1/2 might be a little young. He later wanted to put them around his ankles and up his thigh. Hm....maybe we should have stuck to matching exercises? Warning #2...they don't go well with new scissors. One should put them away before taking out scissors. We lost a brontosaurus to curious fingers. :(

All in all though, I love them. I tucked them away for a little while later when he's older. I could see they'd make great gifts!


Another great thing I found on her blog were lessons in literacy using bottle lids. I saved up some tea lids and have been out looking for good markers. I found some fabric paint, which I thought would work well, but after two days, I found it peels off, so I need to get some different colors of permanent markers I think. I started off with just a few letters, since that is all I had, with those to spell my son's name, CAR, TRAIN, DOG and CAT. He's so into the alphabet though, that he wanted to lay out all his ABC's.

I'm always on the lookout for great children's (specifically toddler) activities if you see any!
For other ideas too, on WFMW go here.

What are some of your favorite activities for toddlers when the weather is so warm?

3 comments:

  1. We've been big into playdoh lately at our house. (Or Plato, as she calls it!) I've avoided those bands, but I'm sure I'll give in eventually...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Teach Mama! She is an awesome resource! I think those dinosaur bands are so cool.

    My blog is all about activities for toddlers and preschoolers. Stop by when you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my own 'toddler' is 20, ha ha, but I do remember something my four kids enjoyed when they were little. I would fill up a muffin tin with water, then add a drop or two of food coloring to each cup. Free watercolor paints!
    Another activity I remember was making 'monster toast.' You use a clean paintbrush and food coloring to 'paint' faces on white bread. Then you toast it and eat it! (You could call it 'dinosaur toast,' too!)
    Have fun! Believe me when I tell you, these sweet baby days go by toooo fast!

    ReplyDelete